Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Driving Daytona

Viewing the Start/Finish Line from the "Sprint Tower"

Now you may be wondering, "why is Grandma Su visiting NASCAR race tracks??"

Truth is, I'm a motor-head from way back. Daddy helped build stock cars (he was the "trannie" expert) when I was a girl, but I wasn't allowed or encouraged because he wanted to keep me away from the boys....good luck!!

Got a '57 Chevy, classic turquoise and white, when I graduated from high school in '66. A simple 6 cylinder, 3 on the tree, not a race type car, but it sure looked cool!

Over 30 years, I attended and watched all kinds of drag races, idolized folks like Cha-Cha Shirley Muldowney and John Force, attended Daytona Race Day parties, drove the Camaro on a parade lap at Watkins Glenn, rode the GM test track, and ran the Corvette down the Lewiston escarpment at 100 mph! One of my dreams was to learn to drive and race the track at the Glenn. But, alas, it was not to be. I still admire a fast, sleek, good looking car, but those days are past.

But miss a chance to say I was on the track (if even only n a tour bus) at Daytona? Never!

And to add to the excitement of the day, as we settled into the Walmart lot for the night, we braced ourselves for a thunderstorm/possible tornado! Relieved to report, lots of wind and rain, but we're still here!

No comments:

Post a Comment